Steve Hilditch MBE 1952 - 2015 (updated)

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of fellow team member and former Team Leader Steve Hilditch MBE.  Steve passed away at the Derby Royal Hospital on the night of Friday 20th November 2015 following a year long battle against cancer.

Steve was an inspirational man and a father figure to many people, both within the team and the wider community. His work with Mountain Rescue England and Wales and the Scout Association was acknowledged as he was presented with an MBE in the Queen’s birthday honours earlier this year. Steve had only the year before been awarded the Scout Association’s highest honour, the ‘Silver Wolf’ award for “Services of the most exceptional nature”.

Steve had been a member of Derby MRT for Fourty-Seven years, joining in 1968 only four years after the team was formed and took on the role of Team Leader in 1981 until stepping down at the end of 2014. Despite an impressive Thirty-Four years of leadership with many awards and commendations for the team, Steve gave all of the credit to the hard work and commitment of his fellow team members.

Our thoughts are with his wife Kim and the family at this time. The family have asked that any messages of condolence be directed to the team Secretary Alan Winfield (secretary@derbymrt.org.uk).

(updated)

Steve's Funeral has been arranged for Friday 18th December – 2pm at Derby Cathedral followed by a private cremation.

All are welcome to attend the service and refreshments will be served in the Cathedral after the service.

Dress Code for MR Team members is: Smart dress with Red 'MREW' Mountain Rescue Jacket.

Donations in memory of Steve will be for Derby Mountain Rescue Team and may be given by retiring collection at the service or sent to Gillotts Funeral Directors 1a Abbott Street, Heanor, DE75 7QD. Gift Aid forms will be available at the service.

If you plan to attend, please let us know by emailing supporters@derbymrt.org.uk so we can estimate numbers. Thank you.

Comments

• Steve was a real stalwart on my Health Days at Ecclesbourne School. I was so sad to hear of his death. I will miss his bear hugs. My deep condolences to his family's? Great sadness.

Posted by Jaqueline Scothern , 02/01/2016 9:18pm (1 year ago)

• In May 2014 Steve Hilditch flew to Kaunas in Lithuania and collected me, my car and my belongings after I had been attacked and spent one night in a 1950's soviet prison and then 4 nights in a hospital. When anyone needed help Steve was all ways the first man there to help. Thank you Steve and Kim for your friendship and support.

Posted by Bob Vincent, 19/12/2015 8:55pm (2 years ago)

• What an exceptional man it was such a pleasure to have met him .

Posted by Lorna Wood, 15/12/2015 1:20pm (2 years ago)

• Steve come to work at Rolls Royce in the department run by my father. He was such fun and we managed to contact him for my fathers 75 birthday party. He was always so humble about his voluntary work and he was one of the first to send condolences when my father passed away in 2005. From all the Tunnicliffe family

Posted by Pam Budd ( nee Tunnicliffe), 11/12/2015 6:44pm (2 years ago)

• My first memories of Steve are from Drum Hill when both my parents were on the staff and we would spend every w/end working up there. I was a very precocious and bored little girl who would follow Steve and the other lads around on the dumper truck! I was so touched that he and Kim made the time to attend Dad's funeral 3 years ago and I was able to catch up with them both for the first time in ages. He was a lovely lovely man and the world is a sadder place for his loss. Big hugs to Kim xx

Posted by Debbie Prime nee Tucker, 07/12/2015 12:29am (2 years ago)

• from the many years at Drum Hill, playing dead for the rescue team on Kinder, and skilfully dealing with the Assault course health and Safety auditor at Peak camp just a few of my personal memories of this great man. Thoughts are with you Kim, R I P Steve .

Posted by Graham Bartram, 06/12/2015 2:31pm (2 years ago)

• Not a member of Mountain Rescue but had lots of connections through Scouting and Steve was always around. He will be missed by many people, We are sure that his spirit and his memory will remain with us all for many years to come

Posted by Michael and Beryl Guest, 26/11/2015 4:36pm (2 years ago)

• I was one of the many Steve took under his wing and became a better person because of it. I have many happy memories of time with Steve a generous and kind man. Condolences to Kim and family

Posted by Ian Stuart, 26/11/2015 9:35am (2 years ago)

• It was a pleasure and a great honor to have been part of the Derby Mountain Rescue Team under the leadership of Steve, he was a true gentleman and an inspiration to us all, may his spirit be free to roam the hills, valleys and mountains of his beloved country. Condolences to Kim, Paul and all at DMRT.

Posted by Andrew Cliff, 24/11/2015 12:38pm (2 years ago)

• I met Steve a couple of times as a Scout at the Peak Jamboree's. He along with other members of Derby MRT are part of the reason I went on to join MR myself. Condolences to his family and all at Derby MRT.
    Rob Freeman, Calder Valley Search and Rescue Team.

Posted by Rob Freeman, 23/11/2015 12:14pm (2 years ago)

1 2 3 next »

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments

Derby Mountain Rescue Team is a charitable company (1089237) limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales No 4229996.

Registered Office: Derby Mountain Rescue Team, Ashbourne Road,